Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fiorucci Cites Qualifications for Luzerne County Council Seat

After the most publicized corruption scandal in Luzerne County history, the Democratic Party has to embrace a cleansing process by supporting the election of proven political reformers or squeaky-clean citizens. It is no longer enough to endorse candidates who might be popular with the people, or the party, for a fleeting moment.

I am confident that I can lead the new form of government that Luzerne County will have in 2012. I have studied business, history, law and government at Luzerne County Community College, College Misericordia and Georgetown University. For the past 12 years, I have been effective in developing many issues for our area and having them published in local newspapers. I also have added significantly to the debate on other issues brought forth by the body politic.

I support transparency. As a member of Sugar Notch Borough Council, I thought it only ethical to alert the news media that the president of the council tried to call a meeting to raise taxes with only one day’s notice and without advertising.

I also am supportive of the dedicated social workers and various agencies in Luzerne County. Still, churches and even individuals have to help one another when government alone cannot do everything. I have taken in several homeless people over the years to give them some stability. Some I have known, some I just met the day I gave them shelter.

Because I knew these people needed a hand up, not just a handout, I was compelled to stand up to the Sugar Notch zoning officer and the rest of council last year when notice was given to the Holy Family Church that it would be fined $500 a day if it allowed V.I.S.I.O.N. to house several homeless people there for a week in January.

And to the Democratic Party, voters and residents of Luzerne County, I will not accept any endorsement, other than one from my party. I do not want to be held to any group’s agenda, because as a member of council, I must objectively view each issue in the light of its effect on the whole of Luzerne County.

As for contributions, I will not accept any during the primary period. Afterward, if I am selected to run in the general election, I would accept only $50 or less from individuals. I will not accept money from any type of special interest group.

1 comment:

  1. I recently got an email that praised this site for various reasons, though the sender wanted to link it to a type of web-advertiser...I didn't have the inclination to link it at that time. It is a very good site to see how scandals and corruption play a role in formulating a winning campaign strategy.

    ReplyDelete